Saturday, April 3, 2010

Melting ice and reflections

Only a week before I was walking on the Neva.




Walked home and although the sun wasn't shining and the ice was melting on the Neva, the light was interesting.



The Art Academy, below.


Light, reflection and clouds—beautiful

Menshikov Palace


Started my next drawing, pottery 6,000 years old
from pile-dwellings.

No snow and ice anymore around the Hermitage
Listened to Elisa Virasladze, the People's Artist of the USSR, play Chopin. I can't believe she knew it all by heart, she was amazing.
Canal views


Newspapers for all, from the Soviet era, newspapers were put up in the street often at transport stops.
It seems sporadically and occasionally you'll find a number of a building, as below left. Right is a typical block of apartments front door.
Russian police van and fire engine
Note top right, below, a tiny blue M for metro, discreet signage. Spot the M in the next photo, no not so much? Me neither at first.
Seeing Macdonalds in Russian is funny. And although it's not supposed to be, methinks it's the Russian take on 'Yo Sushi', made me titter and hungry so had to go in. That one was for Sarah, look out for the sushi signs.

My local market, where I got my free cucumber

Reminded me of Mr F Krueger, below
My local supermarket—Diksie





The latest in babushka footwear, below. Check me and my foot model pose; my hands have gone to my feet. Just remembered a conversation last night, I mentioned the word babushka and it led to the Kate Bush song, of course, I started singing it and he said that it must be the reason why so many US/UK people say this word incorrectly. In the song Kate B puts the stress on 'bush', of course she would, but to say it correctly the stress must be on the 'bab'.

2 comments:

  1. That metro 'M' might be discreet, but it's the funkiest 'M' I ever saw. I'm going to change my signature to include it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the Freddie Krueger claw trees and the reflections of the sky in the Neva. Water's such a funny element - odd to think that just last week you were walking on it when it was solid, and now its becoming liquid again.

    ReplyDelete