Friday, February 12, 2010

Archaeology!


So, this week, between working the door and cleaning flints in the archaeology department, my favourite work highlights have been meeting 2 curators from Holland and starting my first archaeological drawing. There is a site in Smolensk with artifacts from the late Neolithic Age to the early Iron Age. The piece of pot I was given to draw was from the beginning of the Bronze Age, about 4,000 years old. I cannot believe I was holding something that old. Earlier in the week, I saw their archaeological pen drawings and asked if I could try and they gave me a few guidelines.

Profile—the piece must be held at an angle as if it were sitting in its place within the entire pot. Sketch only the front line (outer face of the pot) then use compass to mark the width of the back line, for accuracy. Longest profile is only necessary, it should be aligned on the paper with the front view.

Front view—again must be held as if a part of the whole pot. Use compass constantly to check spaces.

It was really interesting. Apparently this site has clear layering of artifacts through the different ages. The area was once a lake and the people lived in houses on stilts. Wooden and ceramic objects were preserved by the swamp environment left after the lake dried out. I guess it's a bit like Pete Marsh the Iron Age bog man. It was kind of them to let me try. I will return next week to finish with pen work over the pencil.

Welcome to the archaeology department! Surprisingly, it's not in the basement despite appearances.


More news:
Alert, Russian wine can be flavoured with rose water and one named wine will be made at different strengths, i.e. 11% and 14% and so forth
Flower, light and colour all come from the same word
There are lots of flower shops, nearly all the flowers come from Holland
Sushi is pretty good, I think Sydney has the edge though
10 or 100 mormons are coming to volunteer next week, it can't possibly be 100
Tried 'Krokodil' a restaurant recommended in GT's Phaidon book with the American John, it was good (still have yet to sample a Russian beer)
Ended up playing the piano to my hostel acquaintances—2 guys, one is a Russian electrician called Sarvar who sang along to Kalinka, which I didn't play very well. Another couple arrived today. I am looking forward to moving in with my babushka lady. I visit her on Sunday.
Ballet tomorrow!!!

Got to see the Bronze horseman, the statue of Peter the Great and inspiration for Pushkin's poem (better read it now!). Apparently the wave underneath the horse (only partially visible in this photo) represents his struggle over the Baltic Sea.
More snow, so more scraping. It's been between -5 and -10
Spakonye noche!

3 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. You got to hold and draw a 4,000 year old object. I am SOOOOOOOO envious. :) Lovely drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jasmine my lovely

    Such a wonderful blog, so few comments (but hello Truce and Michelle!)

    Everything sounds wonderful and amazing. Well done on having the courage to make it true.

    Miss you always.
    Lachlan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geez louise, the archaeology dept is a bit depressing. What, they can't put up some impressionists to liven up the decor? A spare Renoir? Keep posting updates and pics. Pretending I am there. Are you keeping warm? Drinking lots of vodka? GT x

    ReplyDelete