Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Steam, sun and art

I got it today. The rules of archaeological drawing made sense and it all came together. I was most pleased.


St Isaacs Cathedral and the Bronze horseman on the walk to Jillian and Jack's where I had dinner, a perfect day.
This is the famous peacock clock in the Hermitage that Potemkin gave to Catherine the Great. We remembered today to head there. It is wound up only on Wednesdays at 1pm and then the owl rotates its head, the peacock wiggles its neck fans its tail and turns around and then the cockerel crows moving its beak. It's big, ornate and gold. Action photos next week when we get in position at 12.30.

The Sun was shining and it was -15 today, it was glorious as I walked over the Neva to work.

I got a bit carried away with these trees that reminded me of birds with long necks. The lamps also remind me of snowdrops


Winter in St Petersburg is beautiful. I loved winter in Sydney for the light, the air is fresh and clear




The Neva is melting and steam rises from the water
Views in the park by Margarita's house.



A post-breakie sketch. Breakfast is usually buckwheat or 'Gretchka' with yoghurt and fruit. People think I'm odd with this combo.
Vita
Vita dancing, I'd like to paint this


Elena, Lika and Viktoria Vita at Lika Volchek's studio. On Monday, we spent the day drawing their friend Vita a Russian singer and actress. I took them an offering of banana and chocolate cake which went down well. I'm a one trick pony.

The modern Mariinsky concert hall, hmmm. I saw the Magic Flute which perhaps should have been called 'Flute'. It lacked the fantastical spirit of the version I saw in London. I wanted to see Papageno exit the stage in a huge nest rising to the ceiling, bodices, wigs. Instead linen suits, uh. The music was of course impressive, but the sound not.

Jula took me to Stolle for great pastries, she shows me where the best cakes are in town.

Walked by the Church on Spilled Blood

I love this painting of Shishkin or maybe it's the look of Shishkin (Shelley and beards). I spent all day Saturday at the Russian Museum. I love museums. Shishkin was an artist famous for his landscape paintings.

Went to the Small Hall to hear a Beethoven, Rossini and Prokofiev concert. The acoustics were amazing. They played the Prokofiev so well they did an encore. It was only 4 pounds 50 and it's not a cheap city, the arts are just a part of life here.



Rastrelli's marble stairs

Edouard Vuillard and his painting of Mme Vuillard the inspiration in part for my painting to be of Margarita Borisovna
I approached looking for what was stuck in the boy's foot then remembered it was just a statue. I watched a woman walk up and do exactly the same after me.
Went to a hustle party with Tati, tango, chocolate fountain and games...

4 comments:

  1. Very impressed with your archaeological drawings, Japes, they look spot on (do you see what I did there? Nerf, nerf)

    And I LOVE that portrait of the beardy artist. All artists should have wild hair and beards in my opinion. Especially the women...

    You're packing so much into your stay there - tango and chocolate fountains, Prokofiev and Mozart, Potemkin and his wacky gold clock - I'm loving living vicariously through it all.

    Keep it up Japes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so many more lovely things to look at Japes!! Many grateful thanks from one who is an (unwilling) armchair traveller at the mo'. I LOVE the Vuillard. LOVE IT. Looks small, reckon you can post it? And I looked at that Shishkin bloke at big size. He's quite dishy, if a little portly! The clock sounds fab. Wonder if I could find a vid of it going off....

    The Small Hall looks lovely!

    As does the rug Vita is dancing all over. If the Vuillard is too difficult, maybe post the rug. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A big P.S. ! Your drawings are FABULOUS!!! I got distracted by the pretties further down... They really look fab. You are a stipple queen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. T I can just imagine you saying - do you like what i did there, and i liked it a lot.
    Shelley, he's not portly I like a man with a little padding around his middle (was going to use the g word, but I know what you'll be thinking!!! i only have small pockets, not sure i'll fit a rug, would love to 'acquire' the vuillard...

    ReplyDelete